These are key points I focus on for engagement, pre-wedding, sessions with my clients to ensure each photo I take turns out beautifully.
1. SELECT THE RIGHT OUTFITS.
There is more that goes into choosing the right complementary outfits than you may think! Before each session I send my clients a mood board to show examples of what pairs well together + what looks most natural on the color scale side of dressing. The number one piece of advice I give to couples is to first choose an ensemble that feels true to you. The second large piece of styling advice I leave couples is to select colors that are going to naturally compliment the environment in which we will be shooting. I often encourage my couples to navigate towards soft, neutral tones. The main reason behind this is so that the focus remains on you versus an item of clothing!
2. FIND THE RIGHT LOCATION & TIME OF DAY.
This is typically one of the first questions I always get asked by couples who book a session with me (engagement sessions are included with my wedding collections, read more on why this is a must “here”!). Most often I ask if they have a preference of type of location: beach, woodsy, or urban. From there I am able to make recommendations that fit those vibes. The second thing I always ask is if there is a location or area that holds any sentimental value to my clients. This is important because it can make engagement photos all the more special to them. From there, you want to make sure you choose the right time of day to shoot. I typically begin my sessions around 1 and 1/2 hours before sunset. That way we have very soft light to work with towards the end of the session. The times changes if our location is in a valley where the sun will set sooner or if it is a beach session, we would begin an hour before sunset.
3. HIRE SOMEONE WHO IS COMFORTABLE DIRECTING YOU WITH POSING WHILE ALSO ALLOWING THE SHOOT TO BE FUN AND EASY.
There is a fine line between directing and just being bossy. There is also a fine line between someone who doesn’t provide enough direction. Working with a photographer who knows how to read you as a couple and interpret your needs to know the right moment to step in and provide posing assistance is key. For me, I am that balance of hands on while keeping the mood of the session light and fun–I use prompts with my couples that create authentic moments and reactions throughout the session. It is easier to relax when you know every detail is being cared for!
4. THREE MODELING 101 TIPS.
1. Use soft hands. When embracing each other make sure to keep your hands relaxed and loose. This keeps your embraces romantic and elegant!
2. Don’t overthink. Take the direction + prompts your photographer gives you at face value. The main focus should be with each other.
3. Shift your weight around. A curved back adds movement and looks equal parts elegant and understated sultry for you ladies! Leaning on one leg will make you fellas more relaxed and comfortable in front of the lens.
5. RELAX AND ENJOY YOUR MOMENT!
Pause and remember the greatest reason why you are having your photos taken: you are with your love and you are getting married! So smile, relax, have fun, run, dance and be alive! The camera, and you, will love it.